What do you need to know?
The Teacher Development programmes run twice a year in January and in June. The aim of the course is to develop the teachers’ ability in English and their pedagogic skills; working on areas such as general English, issues faced when teaching ESL, pronunciation, methodology and develop teaching skills in your own classroom.
Our classes are in organized small groups to encourage maximum interaction between teachers and teacher trainers.
What can you learn on our courses?
We want you to be able to develop new language skills and build confidence to take on new challenges. You will feel re-inspired and discover some alternative activities, strategies, and approaches to teaching & learning. You can re-evaluate your teaching ethos and learn about new methodology.
Our courses help recycle and build up lexical & grammatical areas and work on error correction. We look at English phonology including sounds, stress, rhythm, and intonation. You can discover British culture and its effect on the language and develop English through authentic materials. We look at finding new ways of using online resources and help you to build confidence in listening to spoken English, including a wide variety of accents. You will want to build fluency and confidence in spoken English as well as learn aspects of English that are traditionally “untaught”. When you take part in our ‘Language workshop’ you will be able to ask questions and have your mistakes corrected. It is also a great chance to meet new and like-minded teachers to exchange ideas with.
Course requirements: participants must be at least:
- an intermediate to advanced level of English (B1 or above);
- 20 years old;
- have at least 2 years’ teaching experience;
- familiar with basic computer skills.
Please note: The course is of a very practical and participants are required to be involved in all aspects of the study sessions. You will be engaged in and challenged by a variety of engaging activities. We hope this will not only be an opportunity for language improvement but also benefit your own teaching. This course provides a large amount of English practice throughout.
The course aims to provide the participants with opportunities to:
- Reinvigorate your knowledge and use of English and to reinforce your confidence in using the language.
- Introduce topics such as drama and improvisation techniques
- Improve and increase your communication skills and to provide you with the confidence to use these new skills.
- Understand the state of the art theories and practice in teaching children and adults.
- Build your confidence in teaching through English, to inspire you, as teachers, to provide you with useful and practical ideas.
As a result of attending this course, you will be more of a creative professional who will be able to:
- be more knowledgeable, confident and fluent users of English;
- develop a comprehensive variety of engaging and productive activities;
- be more knowledgeable, confident teachers of YL and adults as well as more fluent users of English;
- design lessons and materials that are motivating, challenging and valuable;
- use basic computer skills to learn and know how to use a variety of free applications for educational purposes;
- use awareness of present-day British culture and gain a wider understanding of key issues in teaching culture in an ELT setting.
Type of certification awarded: Attendance certificate detailing topics covered, course content and the number of training hours.